Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Spring in the Rockies

80 degrees and sunny on Sunday--and for much of the last two weeks. My friend in Portland texted me on Sunday morning as I was taking off on my bike club ride saying--"Seriously? 70 and sunny. Wettest March on record in Portland." Well, who's crying now? We woke up to snow this morning! It was inevitable. It seems like last April and even later in the month, I was writing about snow. Plus, I tempted fate by planting lettuce in our container garden!

I've started road cycling with a women's cycling group here called The Venus de Miles. Gotta ride with them just for the name! I did a ride with them two years ago but chose a ride that was a bit too long and a bit too fast. Plus, I was just getting used to those new-fangled (to me, anyway) clips and shoes. I tipped over several times still fully clipped into my pedals, an unhappy even for the hip you pitch over onto and for your pride. Then Adam and I took a few rides that were just too hard for me and once we got caught in a lightening storm. I wasn't having so much fun and so I hung up my bike for that summer. I didn't get on it AT ALL last summer.

I finally decided to get back on the horse--um, bike--and give it another try. But with more smarts this time. Short and slow on the ride. New clips that I can actually get my feet out of. Now I don't panic each time I think I might have to stop. And I got my bike adjusted and found out my seat was too high (so that's why my butt hurt so badly . . . ), too far back (that's why it felt like I could hardly reach my handlebars . . . ) and handlebars to low (ditto . . . ). Wow! I been enjoying my rides and look forward to getting on my bike again.

No comments:

Post a Comment