Thursday, March 29, 2012

Making Progress

Not quite a month since my last post about the trials and tribulations of needing to remove dairy from Oliver's diet. The good news is that he is doing great. During the first week, it seemed like he went through a sort of detox with lots of headaches and stomachaches but since then he's been virtually symptom free (except when he doesn't want to do something--"my stomach hurts!").

I've been reading a lot about the Paleo Diet (in 25 words or less--the way our Paleolithic ancestors ate. Lean meats, lots of veggies, some fruit, nuts and seeds, health fats). The happy thing for me, as the family cook, is that the Paleo diet is grain and dairy free so it's an easy go-to for recipes that fit the bill without my having to do back flips in terms of changing recipes. We're not eating 100% grain-free but gluten is still out.

My favorite Paleo Diet blog is by Melissa Joulwan at www.theclothesmakethegirl.com. She's got interesting recipes and ideas, she's funny and her writing is lots of fun. Check out her idea for "cook-ups" as a way to make your cooking life easier. Fav recipes for me are the Spiced Nuts and the Caramelized Coconut Flakes. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment